Brown rice flour is stone-ground flour. They make it from whole grain brown rice.
Though you’ll find a variety of flours whenever you go shopping- rice flour, cornflour, wheat flour, and so on! Brown rice flour has to offer some exclusive factors that would astonish you for sure!
Here, we’ll elaborate on what brown rice flour is, about organic flour, how to make them, its calorie count, nutrition facts, what are the substitutes for brown rice flour, health benefits, and probable side effects. We’ll also explain whether they are gluten-free or not if they are keto-friendly, and their usages.
What is brown rice flour?
Brown rice flour is the flour you make from whole grain rice as we’ve mentioned earlier.
Brown rice flour is the only stone-ground flour available in the modern era with a country touch. The originality makes them the healthiest flour.
This is a carb-type powder that has a mild and nutty flavor.
Previously, brown rice flour was a farm product only; but these days, you’ll find them in packets at any local shops as well!
Also read, Glutinous Rice Flour: Benefits, is it gluten free? substitute & all.
What is Kamut flour? benefits, is it gluten-free, nutrition & all.
Brown rice flours’ calorie count
Brown rice flour has an insane amount of calories.
Said they are all carbs and without any assemblies- their calorie count is with all-natural nutrition values.
Each cup (158 grams) of brown rice flour contains 574 calories!
The number is really insane, right?
Nutrition facts of brown flower rice
Brown rice flour is one of the most nutritious carbs out there.
They are high in calories, and rich in nutrients. Also, the fact that none of those nutrients are harmful makes brown rice flour even more amazing!
Let’s take a look at the nutrition values of brown rice flour (158 grams) along with their works.
|Name of nutrient||Total amount||Daily value||Works|
|Carbohydrate||121 grams (7.1 grams of which are dietary fibers, 1 gram of which is sugar)||40%||Carbohydrates are the fuels for the human body. They help the growth and development, they also help gain more muscles. Also, loading on carbs before athletic work provides the eater with instant energy.|
|Protein||11 grams||4.5%||Protein is important for your muscle health. Unlike carbs, they don’t get you more fat. Rather, they get more fatless muscles. Also, proteins can be really helpful for your bones as well!|
|Total fat||4.4 grams||7%||A little amount of fats is actually good for your health because your body can not make fatty acids on its own. A little fat can do the work. And fatty acids do some functional work inside your body, so we hope you got this.|
|Sodium||13 milligrams||1%||Sodium helps maintain your blood pressure as well as your body fluid balance. Also, they have some huge impacts on your nervous system. Overconsumption of sodium might be deadly, but be sure; brown rice flour has no excessive amount of sodium. Eat assured!|
|Potassium||457 milligrams||13%||Potassium is another amazing mineral that helps your body’s fluid balance. What’s even more fascinating is, that potassium can actually reduce the risks of getting kidney stones and strokes. They are great for your nervous system too!|
|Iron||3.06 milligrams||17%||Iron is one of the fundamentals for your blood health. Lack of iron often leads to anemia. Getting the right amount of iron regularly is a must to keep good health.|
|Calcium||13 milligrams||1.3%||Calcium is the mineral responsible for your bones and teeth. That said, you’ll have stronger bones and teeth if you get proper calcium. But, that’s not the only job calcium does. It actually helps in nerve functions as well as in heart health too!|
NB: The numbers on the nutrition charts are based on one cup of brown rice flour, which is 158 grams.
So, what do you think about this carb powder?
Also read: What is finger millet flour? nutrition, benefits & side effects.
Organic brown rice flour
Not all the flour they make from brown rice is organic.
To call it organic, you’ll need to consider the making process. If the rice is mill-made, that is not organic.
Organic brown rice flour is always 100% stone ground.
And how exactly are you going to be sure that the rice flour you’re buying is the organic one?
There are some tricks up in our sleeves-
- The organic brown rice flour will always have a mild, nutty flavor. If it doesn’t taste nutty- be sure it’s not organic.
- As it is stone ground, organic brown rice flour has some slightly muddy flavor too. That is an exclusive trait of brown rice flour.
- The color will never be pure white. Organic brown rice flour is usually slightly reddish or brownish. But, never all white.
Check out carefully when you buy brown rice flour, it is easy to spot as you’ve seen!
How to make brown rice flour at home?
Sadly, even though a lot of shops these days are keeping packets of brown rice flour; it is not always organic.
And we all are well aware that we search for brown rice flour to bring the best at home.
Don’t worry! To get free from all these risks, you might just make some fresh and organic brown rice flour at home! The process to make it is really easy. Let’s take a look at the steps to make some organic brown rice flour-
- Soak whole grain brown rice in water for 2-6 hours.
- Remove the water and dry the whole grain rice.
- Stone grind the now-dried whole grain brown rice and your flour will be all ready!
See! This is easier than you thought!
Usages of brown rice flour
Brown rice flour has a variety of usages. From your kitchen to the daily chores and beautifications- they have some great usages to offer! Let’s take a look.
- Brown rice flour has its primary uses in the kitchen. You can bake some fresh bread or cookies with them. Well, baking is the best use of brown rice flour if you ask!
- But, one can not deny that brown rice flour has amazing thickening power! So, you can use them to thicken your soup, you can use them in your Chinese vegetables, and you can use them to make your pasta sauces too!
- Brown rice flour is great for tempura batters too!
- If you find ironing your clothes tough because the clothes don’t stay in one place, just sprinkle some flour over the cloth and start ironing.
- Brown rice flour can help your skin glow, and can reduce acne and dark circles! Applying brown rice flour paste over your face can bring about beautiful results!
- Like all other flours, brown rice flour works great against skin irritations and bug bites. You can either use it with simple water paste or can mix it with coconut oil. The paste will help your skin relief.
Is brown rice flour gluten free?
One of the most frequently asked questions about brown rice flour is- “Is brown rice flour gluten-free?”
The answer in one word is, yes. The making process of brown rice flour is all organic, they are 100% stone ground. And, whole grain brown rice itself is gluten-free.
Gluten-free food is getting popular with each day passing around the world since gluten triggers immune reactions in people with celiac diseases.
As people are now more conscious about their health, it is no surprise that they look for gluten-free foods. They are both helpful for celiac diseases as well as helping to get nice skin by reducing the chance of getting pimples and acne.
Don’t worry, brown rice flour is gluten-free. You can consume it even if you are a celiac patient.
Is brown rice flour keto-friendly?
Even though brown rice flour is much better than other flour, it is still a carb-type food ingredient that you can get from whole grain rice.
Since keto is the diet plan that doesn’t include carbs; brown rice flour is not keto-friendly.
You can usually eat brown rice flour-based foods on a weight loss diet, but if it’s keto- you need to skip it.
In short, brown rice flour is not keto-friendly.
Substitute for brown rice flour
What if you have run out of brown rice flour in your kitchen but you are in urgent need of it?
Don’t worry! Here goes the list of the substitutes for brown rice flour that you’ll be able to use.
1. Wheat flour
Wheat flour is almost the same as brown rice flour, except for the fact that wheat flour contains gluten. So, you can use wheat flour as a substitute only if the plausible eaters do not have celiac disease.
Wheat flours are great for baking and thickening- both.
Also read: What is wheat starch: benefits, substitute, is it gluten-free & more.
Corn flour is another popular and easy-to-find substitute for brown rice flour. Their usages are pretty similar too! But again, they too contain gluten. That’s sad news.
Also, though they are good thickeners, they are almost as good as brown rice flour for baking and batters.
3. All-purpose flour
All-purpose flour is another substitute for brown rice flour, but they too contain gluten.
Other than this, they are great for baking and batters. They work as good thickeners as well.
Cornstarch meanwhile is a perfect substitute for brown rice flour that is gluten-free as well. Their thickening ability is just as fine as well.
The only problem is, that cornstarch is not as good as brown rice flour for baking.
5. Potato starch
Potato starch is a good option as a substitute for brown rice flour. But, you can use it as a thickening ingredient only. This one is gluten-free too.
The only problem is, that they are not the perfect option for baking just like cornstarch.
Also read: Cornstarch vs corn flour: all you need to know to compare.
Health benefits of brown rice flour
Brown rice flour is one of the healthiest flours out there. High in calories but low in bad nutrients- what more could we ask for!
Let’s take a look at all those amazing health benefits of brown rice flour.
- As a gluten-free carb, brown rice flour is the best possible choice for people with celiac diseases. It can help them reduce the risks of immune reactions.
- Being gluten-free, brown rice flour is helpful for natural weight loss as well as for your inflammatory system. They also boost your energy.
- As brown rice flour has a high amount of dietary fibers, they are great for diabetic people and people with blood or heart diseases too.
- The gluten-free and dietary fibers traits make brown rice flour a great choice for pregnant women too. Another reason why they are great for pregnant women is- that they have a good amount of iron.
- And as they contain some good amounts of minerals including iron, calcium, and potassium, brown rice flour is great for your nervous system, blood circulation, bone health, and heart health altogether!
- All those carbs, protein, and minerals present in brown rice flour make it a perfect food for growing kids. They are helpful for the growth and development phases.
- Not to mention that their external usages are great for your skin health too!
- Not only the external usages, as they are all gluten-free, consuming brown rice flour is beneficial for your skin health too. They help you get rid of acne and pimples.
There are reasons why they call brown rice flour the best kind of flour. And you can easily find it out for yourself too!
Probable side effects of brown rice flour
As they say, there is no flawless good. No matter how good brown rice flour is, it too might be of some probable side effects for some people out there.
Let’s take a look at those probabilities.
- Though it’s rare, some people are allergic to brown rice. Brown rice flour might trigger allergic reactions to them.
- As they are high in carbs, overconsumption of brown rice flour might lead to sudden weight gain at times.
- And their high-carb which includes a small amount of sugar as well can cause high blood sugar upon overconsumption even though it is one of the rarest cases.
Other than these risks, brown rice flour is all good to go!
Here it was. All the necessary information you need about brown rice flour is right here.
If you want to know anything else, feel free to drop your questions in the comment box below.
And before we end, let us remind you once again, for any sorts of discomfort or health troubles, please do contact a doctor firsthand.