People who never heard before about tomatillos may have the question “what to do with tomatillos?”.
If you have never tasted a tomatillo, you are missing out! They are tart and tangy fruit that is related to the tomato.
Tomatillos are green in color and have a papery husk that must be removed before eating. They can be eaten raw or cooked.
In this blog, we will discuss some delicious ways to enjoy tomatillos.
What is Tomatillo?
Tomatillos are commonly used in Mexican cuisine and can be found in many dishes such as salsa verde, enchiladas, and huevos rancheros. They add a unique and delicious flavor to these dishes.
It looks like a green tomato, and it has a different taste.
- Tomatillo Benefits, Uses, Recipes, Side Effects, How to Eat & All.
- What Does Tomatillo Taste Like? Does It Kill You?
- Can Tomatillos Be Eaten Raw?
- Dried Papaya Benefits, Calories, Nutrition, Is It Good? & All.
What to do with tomatillos? Or how to eat it?
There are many ways to incorporate tomatillos into your meals.
Here are the 10 ideas to eat:
- Make a fresh salsa verde by blending roasted tomatillos with onion, garlic, jalapeno peppers, and cilantro.
- Use diced tomatillos in a tasty chicken or pork marinade.
- Add sliced tomatillos to your favorite taco filling for a tangy twist.
- Substitute tomatillos for tomatoes in your favorite spaghetti sauce recipe.
- Mix diced tomatillos into zesty guacamole.
- Grill sliced tomatillos and serve them as a tasty side dish to your main meal.
- Add diced tomatillos to omelets or scrambled eggs for a flavorful breakfast option.
- Use tomatillo sauce as a base for enchiladas or burritos.
- Incorporate tomatillos into a refreshing summer salad with diced avocado, corn, and red onion.
- Make a creamy tomatillo soup by simmering tomatillos with chicken broth, onion, garlic, and cilantro until tender. Blend the mixture until smooth and serve with a dollop of sour cream on top.
How to make a fresh salsa verde?
- Start by roasting tomatillos, onion, garlic, and jalapeno peppers on a baking sheet in the oven at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- Let cool slightly before transferring to a blender or food processor along with cilantro and salt to taste.
- Blend until desired consistency is reached and enjoy with chips or as a topping for tacos or enchiladas.
- You can also add diced avocado to the salsa for added creaminess. Enjoy!
How to use tomatillos in a tasty chicken or pork marinade?
- In a blender or food processor, combine diced tomatillos with garlic, cilantro, lime juice, olive oil, and your choice of spices (such as chili powder and cumin).
- Marinate chicken or pork in the mixture for at least an hour before grilling or baking.
- The tangy tomatillo marinade will add a delicious flavor to your meat dish. Enjoy!
How to make tomatillo sauce as a base for enchiladas or burritos?
- In a saucepan, heat olive oil and sauté diced onion and garlic until tender.
- Add in diced tomatillos and cook until they begin to soften.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Return the sauce to the pan and simmer until thickened.
- Use it as a flavorful base for enchiladas or burritos, and enjoy!
How to make a creamy tomatillo soup by simmering tomatillos with chicken broth, onion, garlic, and cilantro until tender?
- In a large pot, heat olive oil and sauté diced onion and garlic until tender.
- Add in diced tomatillos and chicken broth and let simmer for about 10 minutes or until the tomatillos are soft.
- Stir in some chopped cilantro and let cool slightly before transferring it to a blender or food processor and blending until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pot and let simmer for a few more minutes before serving with a dollop of sour cream on top. Enjoy!
So, what to do with tomatillos? As you can see, there are many options for incorporating this unique and delicious fruit into your meals.
From salsa to marinades to soups, the possibilities are endless. Experiment with tomatillos in your cooking and enjoy the fresh and tangy flavor they add to your dishes.