Celery stalk or stalk of celery is a neighborhood plant-based edible item. This green leafy shrub is not just an available item- it has a lot of pretty good aspects as well.
Let’s take a look at their description along with the nutrient values, pros and cons.
What is a celery stalk?
The celery plant is a shrub. Whenever someone says “celery stalk”, the words could indicate different meanings depending on the usage.
Though one thing is quite common and the most frequent definition of celery stalk. And that is the bunch of celery plants. Though, some regions consider the bunch with leaves as the stalk. There are many other regions where they identify only the bunch (without leaves) as celery stalks.
By both means, we can easily agree to the fact that celery plants without roots are most likely the stalks of celery.
- What does eggplant taste like? Nutrition, benefits, & more.
- Tomatillo: Benefits, Uses, Recipes, Side Effects, How to Eat & All.
- 15 Side Effects Of Eating Kale Everyday.
Calories in celery stalks
Calorie is the amount of energy that the foods provide.
Speaking of which, every 100 grams of celery stalks provides 14 calories. That might come as a surprise- did you expect those tiny stalks would be this much energy providing?
All the nutrition values of celery stalk
Like most green leafy foods, celery stalk contains a good amount of nutrition value as well. Let’s take a look at them.
- Every 100 grams of celery stalks contain 3 grams of carbohydrates. And, these carbs are basically fibers. Nutrient enough, right?
- Like most green leaves, celery contains a good amount of vitamin A too. This very vitamin is important for human vision as well as the immune system.
- They contain a small amount of vitamin B6 as well. Vitamin B works to prevent scurvy and some other diseases. And they can provide some vitamin B9, commonly known as folate as well. Folate. works to prevent anemia.
- Celery stalks can offer you up to 3.1 milligrams of Vitamin C. This very vitamin remains in raw veg items only and they work for the immune system.
- Even though the amount is quite small, celery stalks can provide you with some Vitamin E. The beauty vitamin that works to keep your hair and skin healthy.
- Celery stalks are rich in calcium if you didn’t know! Every 100 grams of this shrub contains 40 milligrams of calcium. The mineral is essential for the teeth and bones. Hmm…. Celery stalks can make people stronger for sure!
- They contain some irons too! The most necessary mineral for human blood. We’re pretty sure that you don’t want to become anemic. Consuming celery stalks along with all other iron enriched food would be beneficial in that case.
- Potassium is the element responsible for muscle strength. Celery stalks contain an excessive amount of this muscle-strengthening mineral you know! Every 100 grams of celery stalk can offer you up to 263 milligrams of potassium. Now let’s clarify something, ‘milligram’ is not that small of an amount. Because the nutritionists count vitamins and minerals with the scale of a microgram. That’s because, unlike carbs and proteins, the amount of vitamins and minerals that a human body needs are not that excessive.
- They contain 81 milligrams of sodium in every 100 grams. Sodium helps to keep the body fluid in a balanced state and this helps the kidneys by default.
- They contain some beta carotene as well. The refreshing nutrition factor that works for both the human organs as well as for the skin and hair.
All these amazing nutrition facts have made celery stalk into an element that has so many health benefits.
Health benefits of celery stalk
Just as mentioned above, the presence of a lot of nutrients has given celery stalks some beneficial sides. Let’s take a look at them-
- The fact that celery stalks contain low carbs with a good amount of fibers has made them diet-friendly veg. Fibers are good for people with diabetes, and all other people who have been following strict diet plans will get benefits from celery stalks as well.
- They contain both iron and folate. This is enough to claim that celery stalks can drastically reduce the risk of anemia.
- Folate is good for the fetus as well. They help the development of a baby inside it’s mother. That means they are beneficial for pregnancy.
- Potassium is not only good for muscle health, but also for heart health. The high amount of potassium that celery stalks contain alone can make them heart-friendly food.
- They contain a good amount of calcium as well. That is the reason, celery stalks can help the children at your home to develop stronger bones and teeth. Not only that, but the people at risk of osteoporosis can get some benefits from celery stalks too.
- And, the presence of beta carotene and Vitamin E have made celery stalk a beauty secret. They are good for your hair and your skin.
Also read: Fenugreek leaves: Benefits, all usage | dried leaves, substitute.
& What is corn starch: calories, nutrition, all uses, substitute idea.
Probable side effects of celery stalk
Though they are great and have so many health benefits, they still might have some probable side effects to some people with specific conditions. Let’s take a look at them.
- Though fibers are good for your health, way too much fiber can cause bloating and gastric issues. That is why overconsumption of celery stalks can cause some side effects.
- Allergy is a specialized condition. Different people may have different staffs they’re allergic to. Celery stalks can be allergic to a few people too. If exposed to celery stalks, people allergic to them might get skin rashes, breathing difficulties, and other allergic reactions.
- And, anything with a good amount of sodium can cause trouble to the kidneys as well as the overall fluid balance inside the human body. Celery stalks are no different. We’d suggest a balanced intake of all sorts of foods including celery stalks.
Expiration times of celery stalk
Though celery stalks have so many advantages, they still have another shortcoming. That is, they lose all their values in a very short time and they lose most of their values after cooking. They remain beneficial for up to 5-7 days if placed in cold temperatures. Less than 1 day if the temperature is higher.
Hence, they need to be as fresh as possible to keep the nutrition values intact.
The main issue with celery stalks is their fast expiration dates. Don’t worry. We have some solutions.
- Steaming celery does not make them lose all their nutrition factors, unlike cooking. You can steam them in low heat and enjoy them differently!
- Celery juice is another process to keep the values intact.
- Don’t chop them before storing them in the refrigerator. That would make them have the nutrition values for a longer time.
That was all. We hope all the information that we’ve provided would be helpful to you.
Again, for any complexities, do contact a physician in person. And, unless you’re with a special physical condition or are allergic to them- keep enjoying celery stalk!
Read: Top 16 healthy food for weight loss | 100% Natural Diet.
What is Fit Body Boot Camp – Importance & HOW to Choose?