Dried papaya is a dried form of sweet tropical fruit papaya. It mainly proceeds through sun drying or dehydrators. Even if it is dry, it preserves all the nutrients.
Dried papaya is getting popular worldwide. Especially in the Muslim community. From the Middle East to ancient Rome, the tradition of eating dried fruits never gets old. It has always been a prominent part of the Mediterranean diet.
Now people from around the world know its amazing benefits and delicious taste. Let us take a look at this yummy fruit full of nutrients.
Table of Contents
What is dried papaya?
The dried papaya is popular for its own unique tastes and food values. The way people like the raw papaya, they like the dried version as well. Health-conscious people are now a fan of dried papaya. They think it can easily fit into their diet chart.
The usage of dried papaya is simple and healthy. You will get all the good nutrition and balanced calories for your body.
Down below, we’ll provide you with all the necessary information about dried papaya if you want to add this to your diet.
- What To Do With Tomatillos? How To Eat It?
- What does papaya taste like? Surprising facts and guidelines.
- How Long Do Blueberries Last? – (Also In The Fridge & Freezer).
Calories of dried papaya
Dried papaya is energetic and full of nutrients. Calories are well balanced. You will consume the exact calories which your body craves. Take a quick look at the calories.
Unsweetened dried papaya contains 20 calories per serving, and sweetened dried papaya has 140 calories. You will have a 1 percent average if you eat unsweetened dried papaya. On the other hand, sweetened papaya will give you 7 percent of your daily intake (DRI- Dietary Reference Intake).
Calories provide body energy, but too much intake of calories leads to weight gain.
Therefore, unsweetened dried papaya is a lot better than sweetened dried papaya for those who don’t want to add more calories to their diet.
Nutrition facts of dried papaya
In the beginning, we talked about the health benefits of dried papaya. Here, we will talk about the nutritional facts you will get by consuming it. Let’s take a sneak peek
When it comes to nutrition, dried papaya (1 serving) has 35 grams of carbohydrates or one medium-sized dried papaya has 275 grams of carbohydrates.
If we go by the adult carb consumption level, we can state that an adult can take roughly 225 grams of carbohydrates every day. It provides energy to our cells and muscles.
Facts recommend that the intake of sweetened dried papaya should be 14 grams per serving, and for sweetened dried papaya, it should be 35 grams.
That’s why for most people, unsweetened dried papaya is good for a balanced diet chart.
A healthy woman should consume 22 to 28 grams of fiber per day. On the other hand, a male should take 28 to 35 grams of fiber. The fiber will help you with bowel movements, reduce cholesterols, and maintain your blood sugar level.
The only difference is men get 9 percent DRI (Dietary Reference Intake) of fiber in one serving, while women get 11 percent which is 3 grams of fiber on an average quantity.
Vitamins and minerals
Our body functions properly because of vitamins and minerals. There is no exact data about vitamins and minerals in nutrition information.
It happened because of the heating method while making dried papayas. Raw papaya contains vitamins like C, B, A, E, and K.
Also, it has calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium, zinc, copper, manganese, and phosphorus.
Health benefits of dried papaya
Dried papaya is loaded with so many benefits. Your body will thank you for these amazing treats. Let’s dig into the benefits part. Shall we?
Great help with losing weight
If you are concerned about your unwanted weight, dried papaya will help you with that. It has the ability to burn fat quickly and effectively.
Papaya helps in weight loss by detoxifying the gut walls with an enzyme known as Papain. It improves the body’s metabolic rate, keeping fat burning more effectively.
Consuming it every alternative day with good diet practice, you will see the results in 2-3 months. You eat them with any meal during the whole day.
Restore the energy
Dried papaya helps your body to gain energy. The food values it has to make your body boost energy. The vitamin C and fiber will keep your stomach full for a long period of time. You can go for hours without feeling hungry.
When vitamin C and potassium come together, it makes muscles stronger. Keep heartbeat and blood pressure balanced. Dried papaya will make you feel energetic throughout the day.
We see so many people with weak vision. You will be glad to know that dried papaya has Vitamin A, Beta-Carotene, Carotenoids Lutein, and Zeaxanthin. These nutrients fight many eye problems such as Cataracts, Glaucoma, and other eye ailments.
Dried papaya creates a shield against radioactive rays so that it cannot harm the retina. It will keep your eyes healthy for sure.
With age and weather, skin loses its glow every day. Dried papaya will help regain your beauty and make it smooth and glowy.
It has an enzyme that is actually the reason behind healthy skin for both men and women. The enzyme scrubs out the dirt from the old skin and replaces it with new soft and smooth skin.
Dried papaya also helps with pigmentation and dark spots. It works as anti-aging medicine. No wrinkles and no blemishes.
Is dried papaya good for you?
Dried papaya will bring a huge amount of health benefits to your diet chart. You are dieting or not, dried papaya will always be a good treat for your body.
The goodness will show on your body gradually. Your skin, hair, eyes, and immune system will revive. All the benefits will keep your mind and body sound.
Dried papaya may fight against cancerous cells. Even though it hasn’t been published yet, there is research going on which claims that dried papaya can fight cancer. Papaya has high flavonoid levels that reduce prostate, breast, and colon cancer.
However, the list of the benefits of dried papaya will never end. You definitely should try dried papaya.
Also read: Is papaya good for diabetics?- reasons, benefits, risks & more.
Papaya benefits for skin– benefits, usage, and side effects.
Dried figs: All the nutrition facts, health benefits, and side effects.
What is a stalk of celery– nutrition, health benefits, calories & all.
Dried papaya VS fresh papaya
We have been talking about dried papaya the whole time. Now let’s talk about the major difference between dried papaya and fresh papaya.
What are those factors that make dried papaya stand out against fresh papaya?
• Water consistency: It is pretty much evident that fresh papaya has more water in it than dried papaya. Dried papaya’s other name is dehydrated papaya.
• Food values: Fresh papaya has its own nutritional value, but dried papaya is more effective than fresh ones. Once the water of papaya gets removed, the nutritional values get richer and more healthy. You can eat more of these without getting full.
• Sweet taste: Dried papaya tastes sweeter than fresh papaya. Although there are two different dried papayas available. One is sweetened, and the other one is unsweetened. You can easily choose according to your taste bud.
How to make dried papaya
There are several methods to dehydrate papaya. Here we will show you how to make dried papaya easily at home. Let’s get started.
• Papaya ( peeled, sliced into small pieces)
• 1 tsp citric acid (or you can use 2 tsp ascorbic acid)
• Water 1 quarter
1. Firstly, Take the papaya and wash it thoroughly. Then peeled the papaya and scooped out the seeds. Now cut it into thin slices in small pieces.
2. Take one-quarter of the water. Mix 1 tsp citric acid or 2 tsp ascorbic acid and stir it. Then put the sliced papaya into the mixture and soak it for 10 minutes.
3. After that, drain all the mixture and keep those papaya slices on cookie sheets.
4. Now, cooking time. Cook it for 8-12 hours at 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Check the papaya after 12 hours to make sure that they dried properly. If it didn’t cook perfectly, then leave it in the oven for another 8-12 hours.
5. Your dried papaya is ready. Store it in an airtight container.
The food you can try with dried papaya
Dried papaya works like a magic as toppings. You can add dried papaya to ice cream, yogurt, and in your cereal. It also can be eaten raw. You will find so many recipes on the internet, where you can use dried papaya as per your wish. You can snack on it anytime.
Side effects of dried papaya
Like every other thing, dried papaya also has two sides. Even after having so many benefits, there are a few side effects it may cause. It’s better to know the probable chances of facing side effects.
• Eating unlimited dried papaya can cause weight gain. You need to keep in mind the calories. Sweetened dried papaya is more harmful than unsweetened ones.
• Papaya let alone has a few side effects, so dried papaya is not any different from that. It can cause skin rashes if somebody has an allergy. Dried papaya will aggravate it.
• People with low blood sugar should avoid dried papaya. Except for people with diabetes, no one should eat large amounts of dried papaya or papaya.
In today’s world, people want a healthy, well-disciplined life. A healthy body will take you far. It is the ultimate wealth. Dried papaya is just a portion of food that can make it possible. It is full of nutrition. You will have a uniquely delicious flavor, as well as a good amount of calories and vitamins.
We tried to give you all the information about dried papaya. We hope this information helps you to get to know more about this exotic luscious fruit.
Also read: Can you eat tofu raw: Tofu’s calorie & nutrition, benefits, FAQ.